On February 15, 2018 at 4:05PM EST, the Aquarius new moon—a partial solar eclipse—coincides with the Chinese Lunar New Year and marks the start of the Year of the Earth Dog.
High-minded Aquarius the star sign that rules community, technology and our highest humanitarian ideals. Though Aquarius is a lofty air sign that’s symbolized by waves, but those are not necessarily meant to indicate water! Energy and sound also travel in waves through the air, which is why the exercise for this new moon/solar eclipse involves deep transformational breathwork. You can harness the potency of this lunation with an alchemical new moon ritual, and ignite the transformative powers of the solar eclipse.
Ritual: Long Deep Breathing
This breathwork exercise comes from kundalini yoga, a modality that revitalizes and increases life force energy— just like the uplifting sign of Aquarius. While calming, Long Deep Breathing can activate both the third eye and crown chakras, which are associated with Aquarius, the sign that rules the collective consciousness.
The goal is to do this exercise as slowly as possible—and this may take practice. With less than six breaths per minute, the third eye chakra is said to become awakened, while fewer than four breaths per minute will activate the crown chakra.
- Seat yourself in a comfortable position, on a cushion on the floor perhaps.
- Rest the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth.
- As slowly as possible, inhale through your nose while keeping your mouth open.
- Fill your chest, diaphragm and abdomen with air.
- Pause and hold the inhalation for a beat.
- Exhale slowly from your nose, emptying out all the air from your body.
Note: The goal is to do this as slowly as possible. Enjoy the high-minded downloads this exercise awakens!
- Change the air quality of your home or office with an air purifier, dehumidifier or an essential oil diffuser.
- Aquarius is the sign of community, so try out a new group activity—the quirkier or geekier, the better! If it’s time for a new computer or to update your system software, spend the day getting your technology up to snuff.
- Join an activist or community service group, or sign up for one volunteer shift.
- Aquarius rules the calves and ankles: shop for shoes that are stylish but also give great support.
Photo Credit: Stocksy