Pluto destroys in order to build again. Whatever survives a visit from the underworld god is meant to last. What Pluto touches, it transforms.
On November 27, 2008, Pluto, the ruler of deep, core-level transformation made its first permanent shift in 13 years. This move affects us all at a fundamental level, and will shape our lives from now until January 21, 2024.
Since 1995, Pluto has been in Sagittarius, which rules international issues, travel, gambling, publishing, education and religion. Tiny Pluto may be classified as a “dwarf” planet, but its power is mighty. Pluto comes in like a earthquake, destroying all that no longer serves us, in order to heal or radically reform.
Pluto dismantles the old guard, rebuilding with what remains in the ashes. In mythology, Pluto ruled the underworld, so there can also be a dark aspect to its dealings. It can bring out perverse or hidden scandals, showing us the shadow side of whatever it affects.
Here are some of the impacts of Pluto in Sagittarius we’ve seen since 1995:
* The birth of the Internet – global communications
* Complete reform of the publishing industry (blogs, social networks, etc.)
* Religious fundamentalism and related terror attacks
* The dot-com era’s big gamble and the crash of “paper millionaires”
* Distance education being conducted online
* The birth of the “virtual” office and reality — does it really matter where you are anymore?
* Celebrity gossip like TMZ, PerezHilton.com and tabloids (Pluto rules scandals) rose to popularity
* Sex scandals within the church
Now, Pluto is in Capricorn for the next 15 years, and we’ve already gotten a sneak preview. (Pluto was here briefly in late January 2008, but turned back into Sagittarius by mid-June). Capricorn is an Earth sign that rules structure and tradition. Banks, corporations, government, architecture and tradition all fall under Capricorn’s reign. Capricorn is an Earth sign, so eco-consciousness will also be part of the package.
We’ve already seen the old order crumble or morph into something new. America elected its first Black president, as mighty financial institutions fell to their knees. The economy and the environment—two Capricorn issues—will shape much of this era.
Our predictions for what Pluto in Capricorn will hold:
- Government and big business will continue to blur their church-state (and corporate-state) separation and create a whole new set of regulations
- A complete reform of the economy
- A complete reform of architecture and living space design
- Major industries like oil and electricity going green in organized, large-scale ways
- A more collective lifestyle emerging as Pluto redistributes wealth and resources
- A sharper division between haves and have-nots that could lead to an uprising
- Minimalist chic: the rise of an ascetic, even monk-like lifestyle—it will be cooler to live with less now, rather than the flaunt the excess of Sagittarius
- Reform of the family structure—Proposition 8 was just the beginning of the fight for legalizing gay marriage
- Corporate scandals and bust-ups of large companies exploiting workers
- Military coups or takeovers by “the people”
- Gender roles reconfigured (Capricorn rules masculinity)
- Structured giving—for example, at a certain income level, one could be required to donate money toward a specific cause
- Legalized bills that require recycling and waste management (and fines for offenders)
Photo by Cory Verellen. All rights reserved.