The fiery, self-starting Aries moon is the first new moon in the zodiac cycle. With a lunar awakening in fierce and self-expressed Aries, it’s time to enter the new zodiac year with a mighty roar of our intentions.
Ritual: Primal Scream
Warrior sign Aries helps us operate on our instincts. No niceties here: Whatever you’re feeling will be raw, real and readily expressed. Anger, in fact, is a touchstone emotion for Aries. Yet for women especially, it’s still an emotion that we are taught to disown. It’s not polite, we don’t want to be “bitchy,” what if we hurt someone’s feelings? The fear of anger leads to the suppression of anger—but that energy has to go somewhere. Stuffing it down can lead to overeating, lethargy, retail therapy binging and even literal disease. That’s not a fate this new moon wants for any of us! So in celebration of the potent energy of this first new moon, it’s time to scream out that bottled up rage, frustration and resentment—and in the process, reconnect to our raw power.
Ideally, you will do your primal scream somewhere in nature or in a large room (like a yoga studio) where you won’t scare the daylights out of your neighbors. Another option is to park your car somewhere private and scream there (cover your ears). You can also scream into a pillow to muffle the sound. The point is to get this energy out of your body. You may even want to bring smudging supplies like sage or palo santo to use before and after the release to clear away the energy and make the process more sacred.
The rest is pretty basic:
- Stand with fists clenched and hold them shut for 10 seconds, inhaling and exhaling deeply.
- Visualize a situation that is making you furious; you might even write out a list before doing this exercise so that you already have the vision in your head.
- Inhale deep into your belly and SCREAM!
- Repeat until you feel a release. We know this can be super awkward at first, so it could take a few tries before you get the real rage out of your system.
Do this alone or with a small, supportive group of friends. It can be so powerful to cheer each other on, even drumming or sitting in a protective circle around each other for your screams. And since a primal scream might even bring up tears, it’s great to have someone there to hold or hug after you let it out.
Other ritual ideas:
- Wear red, the Aries color, to invoke the sexy and flamboyant energy of the day.
- Make a fire pit or bonfire with friends. Write angry letters and burn them in the flames.
- Take yourself on a solo date, like Aries illustrator and author SARK does. Sit at a table for one or at the bar at a restaurant and enjoy your own company. Bring a book or a journal, or just be.
- Shamelessly self-promote: Post one of your latest wins on social media and let friends share in the victory.
Photo credit: Stocksy