The new moon in Virgo on Friday, August 30 (at 6:37 AM EDT) invokes the spirit of service. Give for giving’s sake and catch a feel-good buzz.
Ritual: Random Acts of Kindness
Today is a day for selfless service, as the new moon in Virgo calls for simple acts of kindness. As you move through the day, look for little ways you can make a difference—or just put a smile on someone’s face. For example, you could:
- leave an extra $5 at the coffee counter to cover a latte for the person behind you in line.
- drop a box of cupcakes in the break room at work, with a note that simply reads: “take one!”
- donate clothes to a thrift shop that’s connected to a charity you believe in.
- leave flowers on someone’s desk.
- offer to bring lunch to a friend who is on an insane deadline.
- place a recycling bin in the mailroom of your apartment complex for neighbors to toss their junk mail.
Just keep your eyes open while you’re grooving through your day. When you spot little ways to help your community, make your move!
This doesn’t have to cost a cent.
Simple moves count, too: help a mom carry her stroller up subway steps, share a link to a friend’s art show on social media, or bring an elderly neighbor’s newspaper from their lawn to their front door.
Heads up for all the people-pleasers and caretakers out there. We know you already give too much on an average day; this exercise isn’t about making sacrifices. For you, the practice is knowing that it’s “enough” to act small and within your means. It’s not generous to drain your own reserves; in fact, this can leave the receiver feeling obligated and uncomfortable. Mind the balance—small actions speak volumes!
- Purge and purify: Throw away (and recycle, if possible) old beauty products, pillow inserts and condiments; invest in fresh replacements.
- Give your space a pre-fall Marie Kondo treatment by clearing out summer clothes that just didn’t spark joy (and probably never will).
- Swap one of your chemical cleaning products for an environmentally-friendly one.
- Join or start a book club, this new moon reminds us that geek is (always) chic!
Photo credit: Stocksy