So you’re dating a Sagittarius or want to be. Here’s our guide to navigating first moves, knowing if it’s reciprocal, flirting and memorable date ideas.
Lusty and a bit wild, this sign is generally happy to hook up on the first date. After all, Sagittarius is the zodiac’s gambler and if the attraction is there, they’re always willing to take a chance on romance. Waking up next to a romantic interest on the first date could mean the start of a beautiful relationship. They play by their own rules and are never confined by conventional courtship rituals.
First moves: How Sagittarius woos you
Sagittarius is the sign of the hunter, and they prowl for their game like a cheetah circling a gazelle. “We want to know what that animal is doing, where it’s going,” says one Sagittarius. Feel like a piece of meat yet? Just wait. When a Sagittarius has their eye on you, they play to win. Although they can be more distracted than a kid who’s just eaten three bowls of sugary cereal, when they want you, you’ll get their full focus.
But if you’re looking for someone who spins the classics, Sagittarius is not your mate. The only wooing they do is a full-woo press, moving in close to stake their claim. What you’ll lack in long-stemmed roses and signature stanzas, you’ll make up for with mind-blowing sexual adventures. You’ll rarely have to wonder whether they like you or not. If the date goes well, they’re counting down the minutes until you finish your last sips of wine or coffee so they can bring you back to their “camp” to ravage each other like wild beasts.
Signs a Sagittarius likes you
Here’s how a Sagittarius signals their animal attraction
- They tell you point-blank that they want you, spelling out in graphic detail what they like about your body—or pulling you close to show you
- They get loud and showy around you, pulling out all the stops to make sure you notice their bright plumage, erotic dance moves and every other competitive advantage they bring to the table
- They start cracking jokes to get your attention and teasing you directly if you don’t respond
- They shower (make that tsunami) you with their attention, asking you questions about yourself and hyping you up with positive feedback
- They take you dancing or for an adventurous walk around the city to test your spontaneity
- They track your movements and follow you around, “serendipitously” showing up at your go-to hangouts when you’re picking up lunch or having an after-work drink
- They get all up in your personal space, showing up at your job to say hi or inviting themselves along when you tell them where you’re going
- They engage you in a flirty but intellectual conversation
- They start trying to coach you or give you advice
- They scare off all of the mismatches by acting totally over the top, and take home the brave soul who can handle the heat. As Sagittarius Jimi Hendrix put it, “Let me stand next to your fire.”
Flirting with a Sagittarius
To flirt with a Sagittarius, you need only one thing: a sense of humor. They’re at their best when they’re being funny and clever, loudly entertaining a roomful of friends. If you appreciate their raunchy jokes and hilarious turns of phrase, you’re off to a rolling start.
Even though they may be the hottest person in the room, there’s a dork inside every Sagittarius. They’re always a little surprised to find themselves being hit on. When you’re flirting with them, they’re often the last to realize it. Besides, they’re so used to doing the chasing that they’re not sure how to be pursued. Don’t worry, though—they’re always willing to play once they figure out what’s happening. Here’s how to get the flirting started.
There’s nothing a Sagittarius loves more than cracking up together. Laugh at their jokes, at yourself, at your own jokes, if you’re dating a Sagittarius. They want to be where the party is. Show them it’s right where you’re standing.
Be lewd, crude and direct
Match their boldness with a shot of your own. Be as straight-up as they are, if not more. Pull them close and don’t even flinch at their offensive jokes—just laugh and tell an even raunchier one. They don’t want to live out their remaining days with a delicate, thin-skinned flower.
Make them chase you a little
Sagittarius is the hunter of the zodiac. If getting your number is as easy as “shooting elephants in a zoo” (as one Sagittarius puts it), they’ll bore quickly. At the same time, you need to be available and approachable—and never phony. They’re too impatient to play games and work that hard.
Stand out from the crowd
Smart and original people are a turn-on for Sag. There’s nothing a Sagittarius hates more than being bored by a generic, cookie-cutter and conventional mate. They don’t want the cheerleader or the prom king. They want the person wearing neon orange hot pants and a sequined top who’s debating 17th century French literature with the Rhodes Scholar and handing them their ass on a platter.
Be a captive audience
When a Sagittarius lifts the curtain, they plan on giving you the Greatest Show on Earth. Truly listen to what they’re saying and show deep interest in what they have to say. They love to pontificate to an attractive admirer. They love the sound of their own voice, and you’d better, too, if you’re dating a Sagittarius.
Dating a Sagittarius: Spontaneous fun
Dating a Sagittarius is fun, but planning can be a bit of a rollercoaster ride. They hate commitment (at least at first), and may change the time, day and place at least ten times. To avoid this, agree to a meeting spot and let spontaneity take hold from there. Sagittarius is ruled by Jupiter, the god of the feast, so a festive restaurant is always a great first leg of the journey. As the zodiac’s globetrotter, sharing a tasty Moroccan tagine or Argentinian chimichurri dipping sauce can be a spicy aphrodisiac.
Follow the music!
After the meal, it’s anyone’s guess where you’ll wind up. They love discovering unexpected celebrations when they’re on a date. Bold Archers will crash a party without a second thought and dance the night away—the thrill of breaking the rules is a total turn on.
Athletic and energetic
If you’re dating a Sagittarius, they enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, horseback riding, and biking. Wandering and talking for hours is a great Sag icebreaker, as the Archer needs a mate with great conversational skills. Their sign also rules travel. Taking a road trip together is their idea of romance and they might spontaneously turn a day trip into a romantic weekend getaway. There will be plenty of adventurous stops en route, if you’re dating a Sagittarius. They hate being confined for too long and will need to explore little landmarks along the way.
Activity ideas for dating a Sagittarius
- Hit an international restaurant with live music and a dance floor
- Outdoorsy dates like hiking, biking and horseback riding appeal to their wild side
- Sign up for a workshop or evening class together (discuss while taking a long walk afterwards; they love to explore both mentally and physically)
- Take a road trip with lots of spontaneous stops along the way
- Visit a sweat lodge or sit in on a drumming circle and share a spiritual moment
- Play sports together, like racquetball or tennis
- Hit a karaoke bar and ham it up