Flapper dresses, Prohibition, jazz clubs and women’s right to vote…the Roaring Twenties of the 20th century brought us all of that. So will the 21st Century serve up the same vibe? Er, not exactly. Here’s what we can expect, though…
Will the 1920s revolution in the arts and women’s rights repeat itself in the 2020s? Well, we’re looking at a completely different planetary lineup for 2020s astrology. Watch below (and read on) as Ophi explains how the 1920s and 2020s are similar and different—and what our millennial version of Suffragists and speakeasies will be.
In astrology, generations are shaped by the outer planets—those heavenly bodies farthest from the Sun. We look specifically to Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, which take between seven and 25-ish years to travel through a single zodiac sign. While in residence in any sign, each planet imprints the era with its influence.
The 1920s astrology: Fire and Water Planets
As the 1920s began, the outer planets were here:
- Changemaker Uranus was in Pisces, the sign of art, music and escapism (jazz clubs, anyone?)
- Enchanting Neptune was in dramatic Leo (flamboyant flapper dresses, cropped lionness manes)
- Transformational Pluto was in Cancer, the sign of women (women earned the right to vote when the 19th Amendment was ratified in 1920)
The 2020s astrology: Earth and Water Planets
As the 2020s begin, the outer planets are here:
- Innovator Uranus is in Taurus, the sign of money and material life (cryptocurrency, changes to how we eat and live, talk of a recession)
- Spiritual Neptune is in mystical Pisces (here since 2012, it’s brought a spike in mainstream “occult” interest, including astrology and Tarot)
- Transformational Pluto is in Capricorn, the sign of men (patriarchy’s been getting an extreme makeover since Pluto first entered here in 2008)
The starscape is wildly different, calling for more practical pursuits from the earth planets. With Neptune’s dappled presence in the mix, perhaps we’ll finally bury the hatchet between spirituality in science. Watch the video above for more!
To respin the Roaring 20s, here’s a New Year’s Spotify playlist curated by our Taurus friend, performance artist and Tarot reader Dexter Driscoll, inspired by the astrology of 2020.