What is a tarot Yes or No reading? And steps for how to do one.
A tarot Yes or No reading is a simple way to get an answer to a question without doing a full spread of cards. We explain how in this article.
What is a tarot Yes or No reading?
If you’re familiar with popular tarot readings like the 3-card spread, the Celtic Cross or the Zodiac Spread, you know these are fairly sophisticated readings requiring multiple cards. The tarot Yes or No is the simplest of tarot card readings, using a single card to answer a single question. It is the simplest interpretation of tarot, answering either “yes” or “no” to your question. Think of it like a Magic 8 Ball!
How to do a tarot Yes or No reading
A tarot Yes or No reading can be done in a few easy steps:
1. Shuffle your tarot deck how you like (we like to shuffle then cut, like a deck of playing cards), and concentrate on your question. (Note: you can use a standard tarot deck for this pull, or a specially designed “yes or no” tarot deck.)
2. Ask your question, and formulate it so that can be answered “yes” or “no.” Say it aloud if you like.
3. Draw one card from the deck. (Some readers may draw multiple cards to get a more detailed answer, but for a simple tarot Yes or No reading, one card is sufficient.)
4. Look up your card’s meaning to learn if the answer is “yes” or “no.” We have provided the answers to each tarot card’s Yes or No readings in our section with all tarot car meanings here.
5. Reflect on your answer, or pull an additional card for more insight (explained below).
Sample tarot Yes or No questions you could ask
Here are some sample tarot Yes or No questions you can ask. The possibilities are endless. You will definitely be able to think of your own questions but use these as a guide if you’re doing tarot Yes or No as a beginner.
– Will I get the job I applied for?
– Should I take the job I am offered?
– Is it a good time to buy a new car?
– Will I hear back from the person I’m interested in?
– Can I expect my financial situation to improve soon?
– Should I text (insert name) today?
Remember to ask specific, clear questions that can be answered with a simple “yes” or “no” ––unlike the Magic 8 ball, there are no vague responses in tarot Yes or No like “hazy, try again” or “concentrate and ask again.”
How to interpret your card in tarot Yes or No
Each tarot card has an answer to a Yes or No reading (as mentioned above, you can click on any tarot card here to discover the answer to tarot Yes or No and much more).
Beyond learning the answer to Yes or No, you can interpret the card using its traditional meaning. Blend this with your intuition to add some color to your Yes or No draw.
Upright and reversed tarot Yes or No card pulls
If the card is upright, it’s generally considered a positive or affirmative answer (“yes”).
If the card is reversed, it may card indicate a negative or negative answer (“no”).
But remember that interpretation may vary depending on the reader and the context of the question. For example, is the meaning of the card giving you guidance or advice related to your question?
You may also draw additional cards for a more detailed answer or to clarify any ambiguity.
Keep an open mind and try not to expect a specific outcome or manipulate your results!
Tarot Yes or No reading examples
A sample tarot Yes or No question about career and money
Yes or No question: Should I take the job offer?
Card drawn: The Ace of Pentacles
Interpretation: The Ace of Pentacles card meaning is prosperity, material success and opportunity. This card can suggest that taking the job offer is a good choice. It could lead to financial stability and career growth. The Ace of Pentacles can also indicate there may be challenges, but they could be overcome.
Bottom line: The Ace of Pentacles suggests a positive “yes” answer to the question.
Additional insight: The Ace of Pentacles card meaning may suggest the job offer aligns with your values and your long-term career goals. You could gain a sense of security and fulfillment by having the job. It can also motivate you to focus on practical matters like budgeting and saving.
A sample tarot Yes or No question about love and romance
Yes or No question: Is (insert name) a good romantic match for me?
Card drawn: The Lovers
Interpretation: The Lovers card meaning is love, harmony and partnership. It can suggest that you are open and ready for new relationships, ready to find a partner. The Lovers card may also indicate you have a choice between potential partners. Or, you may need to make an important decision about what you want in a relationship.
Bottom line: The Lovers suggests a positive answer “yes” answer to the question.
Additional insight: The Lovers may additionally suggest you need to work on balancing your needs and desires with those of your partner. The card may encourage you to trust your instincts and follow your heart.
Ready for more?
Try more tarot spreads for deeper insight here, when you have time for more than tarot Yes or No!