The weird is wonderful on Tuesday, August 1, as 2023’s only full moon in Aquarius electrifies the skies at 2:31 PM ET. This full moon is also a supermoon, so open your mind to its widest setting!
Do you want to play with magic? No shortage of otherworldly energy streams on Tuesday, August 1! The full moon in collaborative, communal Aquarius invites us to lift each other up while celebrating each other’s unique qualities. This “come one, come all” lunar lift only arrives once a year, so gather your soul squad and keep the door open for newcomers.
Speaking of “newcomers”: How very Aquarian that the U.S. military just testified to Congress about aliens during a hearing about—UFOs! Okay, “non-human biological matter” but, still!
7 ways the Aquarius full moon beams you up
1. Change the world…together. Feel like making the world a better place? (Hands raised.) Power-to-the-people Aquarius energy guides us toward activism and humanitarian missions. No matter where you’re called to act, the 2023 Aquarius full moon brings a PSA that there’s strength in numbers. Go beyond individual effort, looking for organizations, both online and in your community, whose mission you’d like to support. Invite your social networks to get in on these meaningful acts. Casting for collaborators? Take extra efforts to keep your crew inclusive. P.S. With the full moon squaring global ambassador Jupiter, you want a dynamic chorus of unique voices, not an echo chamber.
2. Celebrate individuality AND togetherness simultaneously. Eccentric Aquarius has that special superpower! That might sound like a paradox, but it’s not. Shame and vulnerability expert Brené Brown uncovered this in her research: the desire to fit in is actually the main barrier to accessing a sense of belonging. In her words:
“Belonging is the innate human desire to be part of something larger than us. Because this yearning is so primal, we often try to acquire it by fitting in and by seeking approval, which are not only hollow substitutes for belonging, but often barriers to it. Because true belonging only happens when we present our authentic, imperfect selves to the world, our sense of belonging can never be greater than our level of self-acceptance.”
Translation? Accept yourself, then be yourself. Easier said than done, but a worthy challenge to take on under the Aquarius full moon!
3. Get weird! You put hot sauce on your dessert. You don’t believe in monogamy but you’re certain unicorns exist. Whatever. The full moon in Aquarius urges you to stop hiding the parts of yourself that might be quirky, eccentric or just not in lockstep with the people around you. Because Aquarian energy is all about “live and let live,” this full moon is great for authentic sharing—without forcing your ideas on anyone else.
4. Connect to the aliens. Ruled by side-spinning Uranus, Aquarius is the sign of the future and all things sci-fi. It’s the forward-focused mad scientist who envisions a quirky, idealized world—or perhaps one populated by aliens and a code of radical individualism. During the Aquarius full moon, you might want to even deepen your knowledge of astrology—an Aquarian theme. Head to the otherworldly zone that Aquarius loves and read theories on aliens (no judgment under this broad-minded moon!), like Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians by Barbara Marciniak. All you need is a curious, open mind.
5. Be a master of emotional objectivity. Where do you have your teeth and claws sunk in so deeply that you can’t see the forest for the trees? The full moon in Aquarius is a great time to practice the Buddhist principle of non-attachment. Yes, you may WANT something with every fiber of your being. But do you understand that if it doesn’t happen, you’ll be okay? If you think you can’t survive without a person, an outcome, or whatever you’re hooked into, this lunar light helps you release that fear. Let go, and the Aquarius full moon will bring a better long-term resolution to your issues.
6. Explore models of social change. The full moon in Aquarius creates the perfect space for a virtual workshop or a live salon. Gather your brain trust for a topic-centered discussion. You could stream a documentary or watch a TED Talk to spark the conversation. Who knows? With the Aquarius full moon ruling the skies, the night may end with a plan for bridging the ever-growing societal divide. Browse for books or sites about reforming society—notions like a “gift economy” (check out Lewis Hyde’s The Gift) or author/blogger Seth Godin’s Linchpin: Are You Indispensible?, which takes a stand for art over cold industrialism. Read The Atlantic’s collection of articles on race, published over the magazine’s lifespan (since 1857), including this Ta-nehisi Coates’ essay, A Case For Reparations.
7. Turn your attention to inhales and exhales. As any yogi will attest, there’s nothing more centering than a deep inhalation of oxygen (Aquarius is an air sign!) Stress and trauma can cause shallow breathing, which, in turn intensifies anxiety. When you find yourself in that loop, try the “4 7 8 Breathing technique” to calm yourself and even to get to sleep.
Try a ritual for the full moon in Aquarius
An Aquarius full moon (and supermoon on August 1) loves to commune, and this lunation celebrates the spirit of social experimentation. Invite everyone in your circle from your Afropunk bohemian GF to the buttoned up babe who works in corporate sales. You’ll be surprised to see who clicks. This moon is a perfect time to let your alter-ego out to play. Make it a rainbow connection! Aquarius honors the world’s most colorful characters and the bright hues of the actual spectrum. Try our ritual for the Aquarius full moon!
Your love forecast for the full moon in Aquarius
Coupled? Nothing wrong with being in a comfortable groove, but this experimental full moon wants you to mix it up. With this air sign energy at the wheel, try a little tantric breathing to intensify pleasure. Is there a fetish or kink you want to explore together? Choose a safeword; your moment has arrived.
Single? Sapiosexual Aquarius reminds us of the attractive powers that a beautiful mind can unleash. Hop off the apps and head to spaces where people are having stimulating conversations about topics you find fascinating. That heady excitement could quickly flow further south!
Advice for everyone Forget about common ground! Trade familiarity for curiosity and see what you discover newly about the people in your universe.
Caveat! Love planet Venus is retrograde (since July 22) in Leo. So while you’re having one-of-a-kind fun under the Aquarius full moon, keep your wildest ideas temporary. You can learn about the Venus retrograde here. We’re also offering a Romance Reset course this summer that flips relationship scripts during Venus’s seven-week retrograde!
Your Aquarius full moon horoscope
Below are horoscopes for every zodiac sign for the full moon in Aquarius on Tuesday, August 1, at 2:31 PM Eastern. You can read for your Sun sign or your rising sign (ascendant). Visit our Cosmic Calculator section if you want to calculate your Rising sign or discover more about your personal astrology.
Remember, your scope isn’t just for the day of the full moon, but for the two weeks following. You have time to manifest before activating at the following moon (a new moon in Leo on August 16). Follow your daily horoscopes at Astrostyle.com to never miss a detail!
Aries (March 21-April 19)
Stop suffering in silence or convincing yourself that you can DIY an entire (overwhelming) project, Aries! August 1 brings the year’s only full moon in Aquarius, and this will activate your eleventh house of teamwork and technology for the next two weeks—and its influence may be felt for the rest of 2023! Obviously, there are certain aspects to your work and personal life that you can’t hand off to someone else, but this collaborative moon can help you find the perfect balance between doing and delegating!
Taurus (April 20-May 20)
Your dedicated work of the past six months could reach a milestone victory under August 1’s Aquarius full moon in your professional tenth house. Sometime over the next two weeks, an influencer in your field, perhaps in your company, may get wind of your accomplishments. In anticipation, pull together some of your other “greatest hits” in an appropriate format, and be ready to do a little Taurus horn-tooting! If you’ve had your eye on a leadership position, let your desires be known!
Gemini (May 21-June 20)
Shoot your shot for an important cause on August 1, Gemini: namely, yourself! The year’s only full moon in Aquarius lands in your expansive ninth house, making this an auspicious time for stretching FAR outside your comfort zone and testing some new waters. What publishing, entrepreneurial or adventurous initiative have you been dreaming of for the past six months? Start there and see if you can get qualified feedback from someone with experience in this field. Don’t be shy: For all you know, they’ve been waiting for exactly this kind of pitch!
Cancer (June 21-July 22)
Flex those powers of seduction, Crab! Your inner temptress should be in rare form under August 1’s full moon in Aquarius—the only one of the year! Over the next two weeks (and up to six months), these high-powered lunar beams will continue to electrify your eighth house of intimacy and eroticism. Regardless of your relationship status, your power to charm and attract people to you will be magnetic. A budding union could reach a tipping point: So what do YOU want?
Leo (July 23-August 22)
Ready for a big relationship reveal? The year’s only full moon in Aquarius activates your seventh house of dynamic duos. If you’ve been inching toward exclusivity, this full moon on August 1 helps you hammer out an official title. Romantic as it all seems, be sure you’re ready for everything commitment entails. It’s not just being able to call your love interest your twin flame. There will be compromises and sacrifices—and probably over the very things you hate to yield on. Single? These next two weeks are peak manifesting time, so pull out all the stops and take a gamble on a strong maybe!
Virgo (August 23-September 22)
Stop dwelling on those skipped workouts and triple-scoop cones and cut yourself some slack! You can reserve your ticket on the wellness wagon starting August 1 as the year’s only full moon in Aquarius galvanizes your sixth house of well-being, fitness and self-care. Leave the past behind and simply resolve to start a new chapter—but don’t go to extremes. That’s how people lose their motivation. Set two or three goals or things you’ll start (or stop) doing, and if you want to up your game later in the month when you’re ready, fine. And if not, also fine!
Libra (September 23-October 22)
Take these next two weeks seriously, Libra, whether you’re drunk in love or giving Cupid the cold shoulder. The year’s only full moon in Aquarius on August 1 flips the “on” switch in your flirty and flamboyant fifth house, giving you almost an unfair advantage in the sex appeal department. Attached? Save your best moves for your S.O., and sometime over the next couple weeks, plan a wildly romantic (and erotic) surprise. Baeless? Use this moon’s romantic power surge to get yourself back in the game in some small—or wildly dramatic—way.
Scorpio (October 23-November 21)
Shield your field! The year’s only Aquarius full moon on August 1 in your foundational (and nostalgic) fourth house can turn you into a psychic sponge. If you don’t want to be soaking up everyone’s energy, you’ll have to practice keeping your distance from all those exhausting and toxic energy vampires. This alert will be in effect for the coming two weeks, so don’t feel compelled to answer every call or text immediately. Your number one priority is to keep yourself (and your energy) balanced.
Sagittarius (November 22-December 21)
You love your freedom, Archer, but sometimes even the most free-spirited sign of the zodiac is better off teaming up with a kindred spirit for the win. August 1’s full moon in Aquarius—the only one of the year—blazes in your third house of friends and collaborations, and can help take a budding connection to the next level over the coming two weeks. Hash out all the terms and try to foresee all potential snafus BEFORE you ink any deals. But if you’re feeling good about a potential merger, August 1 is a great day to forge ahead in the process.
Capricorn (December 22-January 19)
August 1’s Aquarius full moon in your money house might be your favorite full moon of the whole year. And not because you’re the type who sits around waiting for dollar bills to rain from the skies. On the contrary, Cap! This is more like the culmination of all your hard work and tireless efforts of the past half-year. Even if you don’t hit pay dirt this very day, watch what comes around over the next two weeks. A deal or offer that’s been brewing could reach the boiling point now. Make the most of it!
Aquarius (January 20-February 18)
It’s official YOU time! The year’s only full moon in your sign dazzles in your first house of self and image on August 1. Shuffle your initiatives to the top of the pile and rearrange your schedule to allow enough time to pursue them. Don’t rush; you want to pour your heart and soul into this. And since you might just land in the public eye over the coming two weeks, think about whether your appearance reflects the you that you want to present. This would be the perfect time to work with a stylist to get that look you’re after!
Pisces (February 19-March 20)
When you feel like you’re about to lose faith or run out of steam, don’t give up—ask for the support you need! There’s no need to struggle—or suffer—alone. And that’s exactly the lesson you can glean from August 1’s full moon in Aquarius and your twelfth house of surrender and divine intervention. But until you acknowledge that you need a helping hand, no one will think to extend one. This is also a great two-week period for letting go of everything that no longer fits into your life or serves you.
The Aquarius full moon is also a supermoon
A supermoon is a full moon that appears larger and brighter than the typical full moon. What makes it “super” is based on the distance between the moon and the Earth. Depending on the zodiac sign that the moon is in, a supermoon can amplify the astrological traits of that sign. Read more about what makes a supermoon, super.
Fun fact: the August 1 Aquarius full supermoon is also known as a Full Sturgeon moon!
When is the next full moon?
The remaining full moons of 2023 are in:
• Pisces on August 30 (a supermoon and also a blue moon, since it’s the second full moon in a single month!)
• Aries on September 29 (also a supermoon; the fourth and final one of the year)
• Taurus on October 28 (also a partial lunar eclipse)
• Gemini on November 27
• Cancer on December 26 (second full moon in Cancer of 2023, the first was on January 6)
Aquarius moon dates: When is the moon in Aquarius next?
• The next new moon in Aquarius is on February 9, 2024 (the new moon in Aquarius 2023 was on January 21)
• The next full moon in Aquarius is on July 21, 2024
Read even more about full moons
Full moons mark the halfway point of monthlong lunar cycles. These are harvest times, when we reap the results of the seeds we planted six months earlier under a corresponding new moon. Learn more about full moons in astrology here.