Spiritually savvy Gemini Chartreuse Tembo Barriere—who is the founder and headMIZtress of The Venus Academy —selects the most powerful stones for the solar season. She teaches us how to use crystals in meditation to stay aligned with the energy of both the heavens and the Earth.
Onyx and Galena are the featured crystals in your Capricorn season crystals horoscope. Working with these stones can help you harness heartfelt ambitions and activate plans to accomplish your goals.
For your Capricorn Season crystals horoscope, I recommend working with Onyx and Galena. These two crystals are ideal for the four weeks of Capricorn season, for those with strong Capricorn or Saturn in their natal charts and for those who want to tap into their Capricorn energy any time of year.
During Capricorn season, manifestation of thoughts can take tangible form. Following the high-minded philosophical energy of Sagittarius season, Capricorn energy is the sojourn to the mountaintop as you put your theories into structure and practice.
Cardinal signs are initiators. As a cardinal earth sign Capricorn begins at the winter solstice and ends in the Gregorian calendar’s next year, January 20. Earth signs deal with matter and form, so it’s fitting that many people declare their New Year’s resolutions at this time. Physiologically, Capricorn pertains to the knees, skin, and skeletal system—the parts that hold us up to give us inner strength and protection.
What These Capricorn Season Crystals Represent
Onyx: helps you pursue your goals with determination
Galena: assists in detoxification processes and healing from early life traumas
Capricorn season crystals
Black Onyx is a stone of the quartz family. It is of the trigonal crystal system, and of the primary mineral formation category.
Primary minerals in particular are about the personal process of self-discovery. Onyx helps you to pursue your goals with steadfast determination, and this resonates directly with the Capricorn energy of the Sea Goat ascending to the mountaintop. Onyx emotionally fortifies self-confidence and builds up a sense of personal duty.
Capricorn is all about responsibility for the community at large, and pertains to your public platforms, your career—and how you show up and out in the world. Onyx is great for business people and professionals, as it encourages egotism of the healthy kind, and the ability to handle disputes and challenges with calm perseverance.
To work with black onyx, wear it directly on your skin for long periods of time, as its effect unfolds gradually. You can wear it in a bracelet form or as a ring or pendant. In meditation, placing two pieces of onyx on your knees while in lotus position is also highly effective, as the Capricorn-resonant stone can bring energetic strengthening to this body part.
Onyx’s Metaphysical Properties
Black Onyx is the stone of mastering your future—a strong theme for this goal-obsessed sign. Onyx brings the proper grounding to balance flightiness or anxiety. It is wonderful for mental and emotional stress.
When someone with strong Capricorn energy becomes impatient, it can be especially detrimental. This is the sign that builds over time and sticks around for the long haul. It is said that Capricorns age in reverse, meaning that the older they get, the more youthful and free they become. Onyx is featured for your Capricorn season crystal horoscope because it restores realistic vision (i.e. Rome wasn’t built in a day!) and helps improve control over your own actions.
Galena is a silver-colored, mystical mineral that reflects light like a mirror. This stone resonates with the more enchanted aspect of Capricorn, the sign represented by the mythical Sea Goat—a horned creature that has the tail of a fish (or mermaid, if you prefer). Success IS indeed part of Capricorn’s magic, but this sign gets a bad rap for being purely status-driven. Capricorn energy is supremely creative. Think about it: Before a goal can be achieved, it has to be visualized. The goal-setter must hold fast to that dream for the long-haul, even when tangible results have yet to emerge. (It’s no surprise that a Capricorn—Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.—inspired the world to action with his “I Have A Dream Speech.”) Galena guides the light to us that contains all possibilities, and it supports and enhances what is waiting to make manifest.
Capricorn’s cardinal earth energy is solid and grounded. Working with this reflective silver grey mineral helps to cultivate strength and courage. For those who spend long hours in front of a computer, keeping a piece of Galena nearby can help to absorb and counter the detrimental effects of electromagnetic radiation via Wi-Fi and the general technological nature of our world. Galena is also said to counter addiction, radiation and infection.
Galena’s Metaphysical Properties
Galena is a stone of harmony and detoxification. Capricorn Season ushers in the New Year. At a time when many are working on cleansing, detoxification and new beginnings, Galena is a wonderful accompaniment for recovering from your post-holiday binges.
Galena can also be potent for healing emotional wounds from your youth—and even doing past-life regressions. Meditating with Galena can help reveal the core cause of your deepest fears, which often incorporate childhood trauma and suppressed subconscious memories. With Capricorn being the eldest of the three earth signs, drilling down to root of your issues can heal the entire “tree of life,” if you will—and even allow you to branch in healthier directions.
Head’s up: Galena’s principle ore of lead makes this mineral flexible and brittle. It CANNOT be made into a crystal elixir as the liquid can be toxic. Despite this, Galena is very potent for meditation purposes; just wash your hands after handling the mineral and keep it out of the reach of children.
Meditation, Intentions, and Affirmations for your Capricorn Season Crystals
Capricorn season crystals can help us climb to the top of our own proverbial mountains. To make meditation a daily habit, start by spending five to ten minutes each morning focusing on your breath. And work with these Capricorn-themed intentions and affirmations for your meditation practice as part of your Capricorn season crystal horoscope.
Intention: May I remain grounded in my own power as I ascend the mountain of life.
- I am unlimited in all aspects of growth.
- I enjoy the process of self-development.
- I trust that slow and steady wins the race.
- I use my skills in service for humanity at large.
- I empower myself to continue the mountain climb.
- I improve with age and gain more wisdom over time.
- I work to cultivate my own inner sanctum of security.
Onyx Technique: Homemade Gem Elixir
Since Black Onyx is a member of the quartz family, it is non-toxic and can safely be used to create a gem elixir. Also known as crystal essences, this is another way to use the energy of a crystal beyond meditating with the stone or wearing it as jewelry.
- Soak at least two pieces of (clean) onyx in a glass container of distilled water.
- Place the container outside under the moonlight to “charge” the water with lunar energy.
- Your crystal elixir can be ingested by drinking the water. It can be used topically (such as on the skin), added to baths, or put in spray bottles to energetically cleanse a space. You could also put some of that gem elixir into your morning tea or lemon water.
- For longevity, you can also preserve your elixir by mixing one part of your gem essence water with either apple cider vinegar or an equal amount of brandy or vodka in a glass dropper bottle.
- Place a drop or two under your tongue each morning, or whenever you feel you want to tap into your Onyx Capricorn energy. Onyx is great for confronting emotions, or when you feel frustrated or wary and simply need some grounding.
Intention: May I continue to use my vulnerability as strength in building toward the greater good.
- I am protected and covered as a child of spirit.
- I am diligent in building toward the bigger picture.
- I enjoy romance and love in its purest form.
- I appreciate the beauty and magic in life.
- I see the bird’s eye view beyond the horizon.
- I trust the process of the magic of life’s unfolding.
- I am safe in my vulnerability and emotional transparency.
Galena Technique: Capricorn Altar Building
To tap into your Capricorn energy for your Capricorn season crystal horoscope: create an altar that has symbols of the things you desire to make manifest in your life. An altar is simply a collection of special and sacred items meant to hold space for connecting with one’s higher self, ancestors, spirit guides and the universe. In addition to a candle and crystals, your altar can include photos, a piece of paper with your goals written on it, and/or symbolic representations of what you would like to accomplish.
To bring in the earth energy for Capricorn, incorporate something from nature such as a tree branch, leaf, sea shell, or even a small dish with dirt. Capricorn is also the sign of family legacy. You may also wish to bring photos of relatives and supportive mentors, especially those who have encouraged you with your career and finances. Altars are intuitive creations, so trust what you feel.
- Sit in lotus position in front of your altar each morning upon waking.
- Write down the suggested affirmations and keep the paper in front of you as you relax into meditation mode. Speak the affirmations above three times before closing your eyes to meditate.
- If you have two, balance a galena stone on each knee, or one piece of galena and one clear quartz crystal. If you prefer to lay down, place the piece of galena directly on your third eye chakra—the space on your forehead between your eyebrows.
- Start by giving thanks for life and existence—and for the opportunity to start fresh with a new blank slate day.
- Take ten deep, slow breaths, envisioning yourself grounding deeper into the earth with each exhalation.
- Observe any and all thoughts that arise without judgment of them as “good” or “bad.”
- Hold the vision of what your optimal expression of true inner peace is, and rest in knowing that the power you desire is within.
- Spend time in front of your altar daily to continue to cultivate a regular meditation practice. Consistency is key!
Crystals and Astrology “101”
Discover more about the way crystals form, how to cleanse and program your stones in addition to your Capricorn season crystals horoscope. Read meditation tips and find out how these natural wonders correspond with astrology. All this in our Crystals and Astrology 101 section!
This information should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health condition or disease and is not intended as a substitute for consulting with your physician or healthcare provider.