Streamline and sytematize! The Sun settles into Virgo on Wednesday, August 23, turning life into a four-week efficiency mission. Here is your Virgo season horoscope, plus 9 ideas to benefit from this zodiac sign’s transformative energy!
Virgo season begins on August 23, 2023, as the Sun shines its rays into this vibrant earth sign’s realm until September 22. After the glitz and glam of Leo season, Virgo’s “keep it simple” ethos is a breath of fresh air. The final four weeks of summer are an optimal time to bring some order back to the chaotic areas of life.
And that goes double in 2023! Mercury turns retrograde the same day that Virgo season begins. As the messenger planet backs up through this sign from August 23 to September 15, staying on top of the details takes added effort. If you have vacation plans or a project you’re organizing, confirm everything and keep a contingency plan in place for any last-minute hiccups that may arise. Read more about the Mercury Retrograde in Virgo here.
9 Pro-tips to make the most of Virgo season 2023
1. Get outside! Try the Japanese practice of shinrin-yoku, which means “forest bathing,” a key component of preventive health care and healing in this hyper-urbanized world. You can forest bathe wherever you can find even one single tree. Leave your phone behind, walk slowly and without agenda, and savor the sensuous sights and smells under the canopy of nature.
2. Pump up the self-care. As the zodiac sign that rules wellness, Virgo season is the best time to live your healthiest, most balanced life. Start with preventative medicine: exercise regularly, eat clean and green. If you have the budget for bodywork, Virgo favors holistic modalities like acupuncture and massage to keep your body humming like a well-oiled machine.
3. Bring some order to your court! From your digital storage systems to your project management software, give everything a proper review. While you may not get to “inbox zero,” back up and delete files and let go of physical possessions that have been collecting dust for ages.
4. Choose sustainability. Service-oriented Virgo gets us back in tune with our ethics. Skip the fast-fashion specials (their environmental impact is hard to ignore even if the price tags are attractive) and support brands with conscious practices and production models.
5. Do a digital detox. During Virgo season, data and information rule, but too much of anything is never healthy. Time away from your screens makes you more peaceful, thoughtful and present. If taking a complete break from technology seems impossible, consider a switch-off period each day, even just an hour. Or, ban devices from your bedroom and wind down with a book.
6. Clear your mind. When mentally agile Virgo rules the skies, it’s easy to spiral into overthinking and become ungrounded in the process. To get centered, approach your life mindfulness and intention. When you tune into why you’re doing things, you may realize there’s a much more serene way to go about your days. But be careful not to become too self-critical in the process (also very Virgo). For support with relaxation, try our meditation for Virgo season.
7. Practice random acts of kindness. This is the ultimate character-building exercise! Virgo season reminds us that there is power in humility. You could donate anonymously to someone’s grocery or school supplies bill, volunteer at a food bank or canvas for a politician you support. Do good for good’s sake, even if you never get publicly acknowledged (or photographed) for your humble contributions. Virgo season is the time for offering help where it’s needed.
8. Find beauty in the imperfect. All your self-improvement efforts could easily lead to setting new impossible ideals—but there’s an antidote! Wabi-sabi is the Japanese art of finding beauty in things that are imperfect—a philosophical salve for persnickety Virgo season. With roots in Zen, this simple concept reveres nature and accepts the natural cycle of growth, decay and death. Savor the magic of heirloom tomatoes in late August. Keep those chipped serving plates you love, accepting their imperfect beauty as a reminder that nothing is perfect!
9. Geek out on words. Ruled by articulate Mercury, down-to-earth Virgo is the zodiac’s wordsmith. Whether you freestyle Snapchats to your friends or write your memoir is up to you. But you may discover that you have more to say (and share) than you gave yourself credit for during Virgo season. Try learning one new word every day! You can inbox one to yourself everyday from a premier source of words like Merriam-Webster.
Your Virgo season 2023 horoscope
Below are horoscopes for the four weeks of Virgo season, for every zodiac sign. As mentioned earlier, your Virgo season horoscope is colored by the Mercury retrograde in the same sign! You can read for your Sun sign or your rising sign (ascendant). Visit our Cosmic Calculator section if you want to calculate your Rising sign or discover more about your personal astrology.
Every 30 days or so, the Sun visits a new zodiac sign. During this “season” everyone feels the prevailing energy, no matter what Sun sign you were born under. Virgo season begins Wednesday, August 23, 2023 and ends Friday, September 22, 2023 (when Libra season begins!)
Aries (March 21-April 19)
An ounce of prevention is worth four weeks of cure as the Sun heads into Virgo and your work and wellness court. Normally, this solar surge would send you racing to find a sport or activity that you enjoy, or to organize your shelves and digital files to pristine efficiency.
But as it turns out, Mercury spins retrograde (also in Virgo) on August 23 through September 15. Ease off the “extreme” energy and instead, microdose on self-care and systematizing. Small moves done daily add up to mega improvements between now and September 22… Continue reading your Aries monthly horoscope
Taurus (April 20-May 20)
Get back to your happy place—and we do mean back! Your passion and joie de vivre return on August 23 as the Sun moves into Virgo, your fifth house of love and creativity, for a month. Simultaneously, Mercury flips retrograde (also in Virgo) until September 15. Retrogrades rule the past, so don’t be surprised if you hear from a long-lost friend or an ex looking to spark things up again. Make time to be playful now.
But it’s up to YOU, Taurus, to decide whether anyone deserves a second chance. If you’ve got serious doubts, it’s probably not worth risking getting burned twice. You’ll be feeling pretty outspoken too, so express your opinions and share your gifts. It’s a great time to put your talents on display… Continue reading your Taurus monthly horoscope
Gemini (May 21-June 20)
Cozy up to Virgo season, Gemini. The Sun slips into Virgo and your domestic fourth house on August 23, giving the next four weeks a homespun feel. Ramp up the self-care and strengthen your emotional foundation. But don’t expect total quiet on the Gemini homefront. Connect with your roots by doing some nesting and home décor, or heading to your hometown to visit family.
Your ruling planet, communicator Mercury, turns retrograde (also in Virgo) until September 15. Over the next three weeks, some forward progress you were making with a roommate or home improvement project could slow down or become undone. Take a timeout for a few weeks and focus on taking better care of yourself… Continue reading your Gemini monthly horoscope
Cancer (June 21-July 22)
Summer ends on a social note for you, Cancer! The Sun enters Virgo on August 23 in your third house of communication and community, instantly boosting your popularity. Mercury also spins retrograde in Virgo on the same day, setting the stage for lively reunions—and reconciliations—before September 15. Your mind is especially active, so this is a great time to capture your novel ideas on paper or an audio note.
But when it comes to actual conversations, choose your words carefully and reflect on what you’re going to say before you speak. As much as you hate superficial small talk, it’s safer near the surface until the messenger planet straightens out in three weeks… Continue reading your Cancer monthly horoscope
Leo (July 23-August 22)
Summer could end on a productive and prosperous note for you as the Sun moves into Virgo and your second house of work, money and daily routines, on August 23. You’re eager to get down to business and manifest a few birthday resolutions into tangible form during Virgo season. For the next month, focus on your most pressing tasks and action items.
But easy with the hard sells and impulse spending. Mercury turns retrograde the same day, and until September 15, money could get a little funny. Pay attention to what people are saying and don’t just assume that everyone is as honest as you are. New motto: Slow down to speed up… Continue reading your Leo monthly horoscope
Virgo (August 23-September 22)
It’s Virgo time! After a sleepy month, the Sun moves into your sign on August 23, rebooting your energy. As your solar calendar resets, you’ll find yourself eager to map out new goals, kick off a fresh birthday year, and of course, to make exciting new resolutions. Virgo season is a great time to put yourself out in the public eye, or to devote your energy to a new personal goal.
But go in gently! Mercury spins retrograde in your sign at the same time, making this an equally important period to review personal goals. Take inventory of your storage spaces. You could discover an old gem that’s primed to be polished and put out into the world once Mercury turns direct on September 15… Continue reading your Virgo monthly horoscope
Libra (September 23-October 22)
Take it easy, Libra. The Sun slips into Virgo on August 23 for its monthlong sabbatical in your twelfth house of rest and endings. For the next month, focus on closure and wrapping up any loose ends before your birthday. You may need extra sleep, and also to set a few boundaries with the needy people in your sphere.
Doubling down on this message the same day is Mercury, who pivots retrograde (also in Virgo) until September 15. To avoid sinking into an emotional swamp or tilting at imaginary windmills, swaddle yourself in support. Though you may have to wade through some murky memories, you can finally get the closure you deserve… Continue reading your Libra monthly horoscope
Scorpio (October 23-November 21)
For the next four weeks, success truly hinges on knowing the right people—or maybe, reconnecting with them. Not only is the Sun embarking on its annual, four-week tour through Virgo and your collaborative eleventh house, beginning August 23, but Mercury pivots retrograde (in Virgo) on the same day, until September 15.
This one-two punch revs up your social calendar, and there will be no shortage of networking events, parties and tempting collaborations to choose from now. Buy yourself time—at least three weeks of it—so you can consider every offer. Deals you make during Mercury retrograde could wind up mired in hidden complexities. If this is meant to last, what’s the rush?… Continue reading your Scorpio monthly horoscope
Sagittarius (November 22-December 21)
Success is in the stars for you, Sagittarius, and it may involve a total revamping of your goals. August 23 marks the start of Virgo season as the Sun soars into your tenth house of career and ambition. But here’s the twist: Mercury turns retrograde, also in Virgo, on the same day. This could scramble signals and serve sketchy deals between now and September 15.
While you want to gun your engine, you need to pump the brakes. Argh! What’s an eager Archer to do? Shop around, get wise counsel and multiple quotes. Maybe even let a lawyer or agent speak on your behalf. As nail-biting as it may be to play hardball between now and September 22, there’s a solid chance that slowing things down will bring in offers that honor your value!… Continue reading your Sagittarius monthly horoscope
Capricorn (December 22-January 19)
The wider world is calling! The Sun enters fellow earth sign Virgo on August 23, for a month, warming up your ninth house of travel, adventure and learning. But plot your journey carefully. Mercury torques into retrograde the same day, backing up through Virgo until September 15. Eager as you are to grab your backpack and go, you might feel like your wings are clipped or you’re on an annoyingly short leash. This could be coming from work, a relationship or a general sense of stuckness.
But don’t wallow, Cap! With a little extra planning, you can broaden your horizons with a dream trip or a life-changing course. Close to home, this is an opportunity to turn mundane moments into mini adventures by shaking up stale routines… Continue reading your Capricorn monthly horoscope
Aquarius (January 20-February 18)
What relationships do you want to radar in on over the next four weeks? Your energy gets micro-focused as the Sun slips into Virgo, your intimate and private eighth house, August 23 until September 22. One or two connections could get super-serious, with talk of engagement, moving in or even a pregnancy. In business, a joint venture is possible so pursue partnerships with people who have resources you could tap into, and vice versa.
But there’s a catch: Mercury spins retrograde on the same day (also in Virgo), jamming signals until September 15. In moments you could feel overwhelmed by anger, competitiveness or jealousy. Get a handle on whether your suspicions have some grounding or if the negativity might be your own projection. This backspin is a perfect time to RE-view and RE-consider your own trust issues. Continue reading your Aquarius monthly horoscope
Pisces (February 19-March 20)
Even the rockiest relationships have something to reveal to us. And on August 23, not only does the Sun blaze into Virgo and your seventh house of partnerships (until September 22), but investigative Mercury turns retrograde there until September 15. The coming 3-4 weeks won’t just be eye-opening; they could show you exactly WHY you have found yourself in the “movie” that’s currently playing out with the people in your life.
Analytical Virgo energy treats everything like a teachable moment. Whatever emotions arise (and there will be plenty of them), try to connect them to earlier memories. Your past contains the richest clues about how to heal your present and redesign your future… Continue reading your Pisces monthly horoscope